Research firm Accountemps recently asked more than 1,000 CFOs what their favorite interview questions were. 42% of CFOs preferred questions that related to the applicant’s personal attributes. 34% said that they preferred questions about a candidate’s qualifications and 24% were partial to job or company-specific questions.
While standard interview questions such as “Where do you see yourself in five years?” and “What are your strengths and weaknesses?” were cited at a high rate, CFOs also had more interesting choices for their “‘go-to” questions. Here are 10 of them:
- How would you deal with a colleague who undermines you?
- Who is your favorite fictional character and why?
- What is 99.5 divided by two?
- Which is more important, family or work?
- What is your favorite animal?
- What games did you play as a teenager?
- Have you ever had to right a wrong, and how did you go about it?
- Tell me something funny that happened to you in the last six months.
- If you could interview any three people, living or dead, who would they be?
- On a scale of one to 10, what do you rate your work ethic?
- Why would you not hire yourself for this job?