According to the USDA, more than 16 million children in the U.S. live in households that regularly struggle with putting food on the table. Share Our Strength is working with state and local partners by funding nutrition programs and educating parents and children on nutrition with the hope that one day no child will go hungry in the U.S.
In its fourth year, Share Our Strength’s Dine Out For No Kid Hungry has attracted more than 5,00o restaurants to participate in this week’s event by donating a percentage of sales or offering deals on select menu items. Organizers expect Dine Out For No Kid Hungry to double last year’s donations of $1.5 million. Among this year’s participants are independent restaurants, such as Marc Murphy’s Benchmarc Restaurants in New York, and multiunit brands such as Corner Bakery Cafe, Denny’s, Joe’s Crab Shack, Boston Market, P.F. Chang’s, O’Charley’s, Dave & Buster’s, Papa John’s and McAlister’s Deli.
Here are a few ways restaurants can let customers know they’re participating:
- On Twitter, follow @Dine_Out and @ShareStrength and retweet messages about Dine Out For No Kid Hungry.
- Use the hashtag #NoKidHungry in all tweets
- “Like” Share Our Strength on Facebook
- RSVP “yes!” to Dine Out For No Kid Hungry event on Facebook
- On all social networks, let customers know if you’re offering specials or donating a percentage of sales.
SmartPulse — our weekly reader poll in Restaurant SmartBrief — tracks feedback from restaurant owners and managers about trends and issues.
Last week’s poll question: Is your restaurant participating in Share Our Strength’s Dine Out For No Kid Hungry?
I’m not sure: 10.2%