Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth. — Mike Tyson
Dear loyal SmartBrief reader,
Great news, everyone! SmartBrief on Social Media is going to SXSW! Sort of.
The conference reserves hotel space for reporters, since editorial plans are usually made at the last minute and the hotel space fills up quickly. I’ve never had trouble getting a press badge for digital conferences in the past — but there’s a first time for everything.
I’m not going to let a little thing like being denied press access stop me from covering the event for you. However, I am a little concerned about living on the mean streets of Austin, Texas, for the better part of a week. I find that I network better when I’m showered, well-rested and not being pursued by coyotes.
So, I need to find a roommate for the week. And I would like for it to be one of you. I’ll pick up half of the tab, and I’m one of the most useful roommates you could have. Here’s why:
- I’m the editor of SmartBrief on Social Media: This is my thing. I’ll do whatever I can to enhance your conference experience. I can help you plan your schedule, introduce you to neat people and share notes from panels you didn’t have time to attend.
- You’ll never have to eat alone: You’ll have a networking buddy for all those awkward conference parties. Sort of like a wingman, but for business cards.
- Too much of a good thing?: Unlike a lot of communications nerds, I can actually have conversations on topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with the Internet. That might not sound like a big deal now, but after four days of stunning “revelations” about the future of interactive media, you might change your mind.
- It’s a funny story: I’ll tell you the infamous Strom Thurmond’s elbow story, along with a variety of other strange and wonderful anecdotes
- I will bring you cookies. And we’re not talking Nabisco here. Just ask the folks at SmartBlog on Restaurants. I can bake.
Have I sold you yet? If you’re interested, and you have a hotel room in Austin from the evening of March 10 through the morning of March 16, leave a note in the comments explaining why you think we’d be a good fit as roommates. I’ll pick a match and announce it on the blog on Friday, Feb. 25.
— Jesse Stanchak, editor of SmartBrief on Social Media
Image credit: ajt, via iStockphoto