For a couple of weeks recently, all journalists seemingly stopped writing about anything that wasn’t related to Marissa Mayer, Yahoo or telecommuting. The media’s largely moved on to other concerns, but the issue of telecommuting — and how to make it work at your business — remains.
We’ve already called in the experts on the importance of policies, communication and culture in setting a work-from-home standard. Read on for resources from SmartBlogs and the wider Web that can help companies and employees looking to embrace telecommuting and virtual teams.
What companies and managers should do
- What Yahoo and Marissa Mayer did right (and wrong) — Dana Theus, SmartBlog on Leadership (3/11/13)
- The Telecommuting Genie Isn’t Going Back In The Bottle; Here’s How To Strengthen Its Magic — Shawn Graham, Fast Company (3/14/13)
- 5 secrets to managing a virtual team — Yael Zofi, SmartBlog on Leadership (12/7/11)
- How to Manage Telecommuters — Suha Mardelli Haroun, Bayt.com blog (3/12/13)
- Managing remote employees: Lessons from ancient Rome and beyond — Dan McCarthy, SmartBlog on Leadership (8/23/12)
What employees should do
- In pursuit of the balanced life: 5 simple tips for teleworkers — Lea Green, SmartBlog on Leadership (10/24/12)
- Stop blaming your boss for your crazy work-life — Katherine Reynolds Lewis, CNN (3/12/13)
- There’s no place to work like home — Jennie Wong, The Charlotte Observer (2/26/13)
And a counterargument
- The hard truth about telecommuting — Mary C. Noonan and Jennifer L. Glass, Monthly Labor Review (6/2012)