Whether you are working with a small group of students, planning with your colleagues, or training a group of teachers, it can be a challenge to get everybody on the same page — Web page that is.
Enter Google Tone. An extension of the Google Chrome browser, Google Tone lets users share URLs using sound. Now getting everyone on the same page as simple as clicking a button.
Here’s what you do:
- Make sure you and your co-collaborators are using Chrome.
- Visit the Chrome Web Store and search for Google Tone (extension).
- Click the “Add to Chrome” button and accept the permissions. Once installed you will be taken to a website that will give you a brief overview of the extension.
- Make sure that the volume on your mic and speakers is set to high.
- Once you are on the URL page that you would like others to view, click the megaphone icon on the top right corner of the Chrome toolbar.
- Your device will then emit a short sequence of beeps.
- Nearby devices receive a clickable notification that will open the same tab.
Voila! Now everyone is on the same page.
Elizabeth Alaniz is the director of professional development and district initiatives for Weslaco ISD in Weslaco, Texas. From 2012 until 2015, she served Weslaco ISD as the Mathematics Strategist, supervising the math department from pre-kindergarten through AP Calculus. Before coming to Weslaco ISD, Alaniz taught middle school mathematics and Algebra I for Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD and Donna ISD. She promoted student success by participating in a variety of campus tutorial programs and the Region 1 Gear-Up Web-Plus tutoring program. Alaniz holds a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies from the University of Texas-Pan American and a master’s degree in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Texas at Arlington.
Tech Tips is a content collaboration between SmartBrief Education and GreyED Solutions. Have a tech tip to share? Contact us at email@example.com
Miss a Tech Tip? Visit our Tech Tip archive.