SmartBrief food and beverage readers were drawn to news about companies’ efforts to get ahead of consumer trends this week. A feature about how a buyer from Whole Foods picks out the products to go on the retailer’s shelves got the most clicks this week, while Del Monte’s new line of adult fruit cups also proved popular among readers. Readers were also interested in Starbucks’ colorful drink options trending on social media.
News about big business moves in the food and beverage world also drew a lot of clicks this week, with Mondelez’s failed bid for Hershey scoring high with SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers, along with General Mills’ strategy to hone in on its brands with the biggest growth potential. SUPERVALU’s deal to become Marsh’s wholesaler was also popular with readers, as was news about ConAgra’s moves toward premium products and away from discounting.
See these stories and more in the full list of this week’s 10 most-clicked stories:
- How a Whole Foods’ buyer scouts the next new thing
- Del Monte debuts fruit cups for adults with modern flavors, design
- Hershey turns down $23B takeover bid from Mondelez
- General Mills to focus on “growth brands” going into next fiscal year
- Mojo sauce is the secret to succulent Cuban-style pork shoulder
- SUPERVALU, Marsh make wholesale agreement
- Starbucks’ brightly colored drinks build social buzz
- ConAgra focuses on premium products, moves away from deep discounts
- Chili’s turns to ’70s stories to boost burger sales
- Pizza Hut’s biggest franchisee buys 39 Wendy’s units
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 14 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.