Taco Bell’s debut of a modern, updated look at four of its Calif. locations was this week’s most-clicked story, and readers were also drawn to news that chef Mario Batali was tapped to prepare the final state dinner hosted by President Obama and the first lady. PepsiCo’s pledge to overhaul its snack and beverage lines to make healthier products caught readers’ attention, as did the tip that adding baking powder to a poultry rub can enhance the dish’s texture.
SmartBrief readers were also interested in the latest grocery news, including ALDI’s continued expansion into US suburbs and a story about how Target is testing the use of vertical farms in its stores to grow its own produce.
Rounding out the top 10 list this week were restaurant and culinary stories, such as the new Coffee & Bagels concept, which combines offerings from both Caribou Coffee and Einstein Bros. Bagels into one brand, and the news that California chain Dog Haus will be expanding nationwide.
Check out the full top 10 from the past week:
1. Taco Bell unveils 4 remodeled stores in Calif.
2. Mario Batali to prepare Obamas’ last state dinner
3. PepsiCo overhauls global snack and beverage lines to improve health profile
4. A sprinkle of baking powder helps deliver crispness to poultry
5. ALDI makes its way into more US suburbs
6. Target to test in-store produce farming
7. Caribou, Einstein owner combines brands under Coffee & Bagels banner
8. California’s Dog Haus signs deal for national expansion
9. Older, non-traditional cuts of meat could be new menu trend
10. Starbucks, Chipotle are teens’ top restaurants, survey finds
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 17 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.