The news that Danone plans to sell its Stonyfield unit to clear the way for its acquisition of WhiteWave Foods Co. was the most popular story among SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week. In other mergers and acquisitions news, readers were drawn to a story about how JAB Holding Company has agreed to buy Panera Bread in a deal worth $7.5 billion.
Also a hit this week was a story about how General Mills’ venture capital division made its eighth startup investment, and the news that Reckitt Benckiser may consider selling its French’s Food Company unit as part of a strategic review.
Wegmans also made the week’s top stories, with news that the grocer named Colleen Wegman its new president and CEO, as her father Danny Wegman takes on the role of chairman. In culinary news, readers were drawn to a story about how prime rib is back in the spotlight as chefs find innovative ways to prepare and present this eternal favorite cut of beef.
Check out the rest of the top 10 most-read stories this week in in SmartBrief’s food and beverage newsletters:
- Danone will divest Stonyfield to close WhiteWave deal
- Krispy Kreme parent to acquire Panera Bread
- General Mills’ VC unit makes 8th startup investment
- Reckitt Benckiser launches review for “noncore” French’s Food Company
- Amazon asks CPG brands to shift from retail sales to direct ship
- Massey: Mars expects M&M’s Caramel to be brand’s “biggest innovation ever”
- Wegmans names new CEO, keeps leadership in the family
- McCormick to phase out tin packaging for pepper, Old Bay
- What 2016’s most successful CPG launches can reveal about consumer trends
- This classic cut of beef is primed for a comeback
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.