In the food retail arena this week, SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers were most interested in Amazon’s moves in the premium food category. They also clicked on a news story detailing German discount grocer Lidl’s circular that preceded its first store openings in the US and the acquisitions of bankrupt Marsh stores by Kroger and Fresh Encounter entities. ALDI also announced plans to spend $5 billion on expansion in the US, which also drew readers’ attention this week.
In foodservice, readers clicked most on a story about innovative ways to use mayonnaise during the summer grilling season. They were also interested in Dave & Buster’s expansion plans, which will include 12 new restaurants this year.
SmartBrief readers read about Mars’ $70 million investment in US production this week in CPG, and AriZona’s move into sparkling water. Frito-Lay’s flavor innovations also drew a lot of clicks from readers this week.
Read the full list of this week’s most-clicked food and beverage stories:
- Amazon gets into premium food with own label
- Mayonnaise is a grill master’s secret weapon
- Mars invests $70M to keep production in US
- Lidl circular gives a glimpse of US store openings
- Kroger, Fresh Encounter to buy Marsh stores in $24M deal
- AriZona enters sparkling water category
- Smucker CEO: Innovation pipeline “now more robust than ever”
- Dave & Buster’s to open 12 new restaurants this year
- ALDI to invest $5B to grow its US presence
- New products from Frito-Lay, others offer twists on traditional flavors
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.