Stories about packaged food brands and private-label foods topped the list of most popular food and beverage tales this week, starting with Kellogg CEO John Bryant’s talk on the four areas the company is focused on as it works to boost revenue growth. In addition to offering trendy foods and making more of its snack business, Kellogg is expanding its presence in emerging markets and new sales channels, especially through its fast-growing e-commerce business, Bryant said.
Online retail was also key to the second most-read story this week. Amazon booked stellar sales of Whole Foods’ private-label products during the e-commerce giant’s first week of selling the supermarket’s branded goods. Ninety-three of the 100 most popular Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value items sold out, with water, canned beans and lunch meats proving particularly popular.
Costco’s success with its Kirkland Signature private-label line, which now accounts for about one-quarter of the warehouse retailer’s total merchandise mix, also resonated this week.
On the restaurant side, readers were drawn to Shake Shack founder Danny Meyer’s reflection on how early lessons learned while watching his dad’s business ups and downs have colored the way he has operated while building Union Square Hospitality Group. Chipotle Mexican Grill’s renovation of the chain’s original Denver restaurant also drew in readers this week.
Read the entire top 10:
- Kellogg CEO identifies 4 key growth drivers
- Amazon’s 1-week sales of Whole Foods private-label items near $500,000
- Kraft Heinz names new CFO, shifts other roles
- How Costco turned its private label into a big brand
- How Danny Meyer learned what not to do in business
- Hasselback technique creates unique texture on more than potatoes
- Chipotle refurbishes the Denver restaurant where it all began
- Kraft Heinz CEO: Consumers want more choices
- Nestle acquires vegetarian frozen food startup Sweet Earth
- Walmart to streamline its US business
If you enjoyed this article, join SmartBrief’s email list for more stories about the food and beverage industry. We offer 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food manufacturing.