From news about American consumers’ waning interest in drinking alcohol sparking new innovations in premium, alcohol-free drinks that appeal to sophisticated, health-focused consumers to musician Gene Simmons debuting a four-flavor line of premium soft drinks to retailers including Wegmans and Tops, the beverage world was busy with news that ranked at the top of most-read stories by food and beverage readers this week. Also in the top 10 stories: Coca-Cola’s purchase of soda brand Moxie, which it expects to close in the fourth quarter of this year.
Rounding out the top three was a poll about Gen Z and what they want from employers caught readers’ attention.
Various stories involving the CPG industry made the bulk of this week’s most-read list with news about data from a Nielsen shopper study revealing that consumers are increasingly visiting stores specifically to buy pet products making the top five. Pet care is “an anchor to center store as the No. 2 reason consumers leave the house to go to the store, and it’s shopped by 75% of US households,” said Joe Toscano, Nestle Purina Petcare’s vice president and director of trade and industry relations.
Check out the full list of this week’s 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
- The rise of high-end, alcohol-free beverages
- Gene Simmons enters soda business with new premium line
- What Gen Z wants from employers
- Chobani CEO: Businesses must step up for staff, communities
- Nielsen: Pet care generates significant center-store traffic
- How Ahold Delhaize, Kroger are testing automated systems
- Coca-Cola buys soda brand Moxie
- Gerrit J. Verburg acquires iconic chewing gum brands
- S. Fla. chain Gyroville ramps up US expansion plans
- Chipotle adds delivery options with bigger DoorDash deal
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for GMA SmartBrief, National Restaurant Association SmartBrief and FMI dailyLead to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and beverage newsletters, as we offer over 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food retail to food manufacturing.