The news that Mickey Mouse-themed Oreos were hitting store shelves topped this week’s most-clicked stories by SmartBrief Food & Beverage readers. The brand is celebrating Mickey Mouse’s 90th birthday with the nationwide release of the limited-edition birthday cake Oreos, which rolled out to stores earlier this week.
Other confectionery news struck a chord with readers this week, including the impending debut of M&M’s chocolate bars and Spangler Candy’s acquisition of Necco Wafers and Sweetheart brands. Target’s new line of Halloween candy, which includes a graveyard cookie kit, creepy eyeballs and gummy fangs, also made the most-clicked list.
On the restaurant side, readers were interested in the $2.3 billion acquisition of Sonic by Arby’s and Buffalo Wild Wings parent company Inspire Brands. Starbucks’ expansion of the Princi bakery and bar concept caught readers’ eye, as well as advice from Darden CEO Gene Lee on recruiting and retaining talent. 1.
Check out the full list of this week’s 10 most popular food and beverage stories from SmartBrief:
1. Mickey Mouse-themed Oreos to hit shelves next week
2. M&M’s to debut 5 chocolate bars by year’s end
3. Frito-Lay gets patent for 3D snack product
4. Spangler Candy acquires Necco Wafers, Sweethearts brands
5. Target unveils line of Halloween candy
6. Arby’s parent to acquire Sonic for $2.3B
7. New CEO named for SUPERVALU in wake of acquisition
8. Starbucks brings Princi bakery concept to Chicago
9. Kroger expanding make-your-own meal kit stations
10. Darden chief dishes on recruiting, retention
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for GMA SmartBrief, National Restaurant Association SmartBrief and FMI dailyLead to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and beverage newsletters, as we offer over 20 newsletters covering the industry from restaurants to food retail to food manufacturing.