CPG stories proved popular with SmartBrief’s food-and-beverage readers this week, starting with two tales about new snacks and frozen foods from Conagra. The company’s new frozen offerings include gooey microwaveable Duncan Hines cookies and pub-style Marie Callender pot pies, and the snack aisle will feature new entries such as Vlasic Pickle Chips and Slim Jim Pork Rinds.
Danone’s sale of its Earthbound Farm division also caught readers’ attention this week, as did Campbell’s sale of Bolthouse Farms.
On the retail side, Walmart’s $11 billion plan to renovate 500 stores with a focus on digital and supply chain innovation drew in readers, and the $1.1 billion sale of Smart & Final to former owner Apollo Global Management also made this week’s top 10 list.
Restaurant stories connected with readers too, including the story of how Dunkin’ Donuts dropped the “Donuts” from its name after almost 70 years, to raise the profile of its coffee and other beverages.
Read the entire Top 10:
- Conagra brings Boomchickapop, Duncan Hines to frozen aisle
- Conagra unveils plethora of new snacks
- Danone sells Earthbound Farm unit to Taylor Farms
- Walmart plans big changes at 500 US stores in 2019
- Campbell’s Bolthouse Farms brand fetches $510M in sale
- Smart & Final to be acquired by former owner
- Dole to debut Spoonable Smoothies
- H-E-B’s McClelland: Why food retailers must be exciting
- McDonald’s HR chief: Older employees are good for business
- How Dunkin’ decided it was time for a name change
- A new wave of plant-based food makers is focused on fish
- Mindful sourcing: Consumers are becoming more mindful about their food choices
- The ups and downs of sharing commercial kitchen space
- How the gig economy is changing how restaurants hire, manage their workforce
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.