Retail stories ranked high with SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week, starting with Walmart’s launch of a line of private-label wellness and beauty supplements. The Glow Habit line of gummies will feature four products to address sleep, digestion, hair and skin health.
The expansion of grocer Stew Leonard’s into New Jersey with the opening of its seventh store also caught readers’ eyes, as did a story about Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen’s forecast for profitability of new automated warehouses created in partnership with Ocado.
Restaurant stories also drew in readers this week, including plans by J. Alexander’s to create a sixth upscale-casual concept called Merus Grill. The 200-seat Houston eatery will be the 47th location for the company, which operates namesake restaurants and other banners including Stoney River and Redlands Grill.
Huddle House’s plan to acquire the 342-unit Perkins Restaurant & Bakery chain next month made this week’s list as well, as did Crate & Barrel’s plan to open up to 15 in-store eateries in partnership with Cornerstone Restaurant Group.
Read the entire Top 10:
- Walmart releases private label line of supplements
- Calif. packaging bills fail
- Stew Leonard’s enters N.J. with 7th store
- Kroger CEO: Ocado warehouses won’t be profitable immediately
- J. Alexander’s to debut a 6th upscale-casual banner
- How a Vt. lunch stand has stood the test of time
- Atlanta-based Huddle House to buy Perkins Restaurant & Bakery
- District goes green with paper trays
- Survey: ALDI unveils its most-loved products
- Crate & Barrel plots expansion for in-store restaurants
- Plant-based meat makers find a balance between supply and demand
- Campus dining isn’t what it used to be
- Oat milk’s popularity expands to the ice cream case
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.