This week’s top news spanned industries and topics, with the top two stories covering legislative moves involving the restaurant industry and the school foodservice sector.
The most-read story highlighted a budget resolution proposed by the House and Senate that includes a $25 billion relief package for restaurants that have been hurt by the pandemic. The National Restaurant Association has expressed support for the measure, which would create a grant program that could be a “game-changer for the tens of thousands of restaurants on the verge of closing,” said Sean Kennedy, executive vice president for public affairs.
And like last week, The School Nutrition Association’s stance on universal, free school meals made top news again this week, this time because it is backing legislation that would allow for universal, free school meals beyond emergency actions taken during the coronavirus pandemic. Donette Worthy, nutrition director at Alabama’s Tuscaloosa County School System, says extending free meals indefinitely would promote access to nutritious food and the benefits would be seen in students’ academic performance.
Moving into the CPG world, new products from Post Holdings and Hain Celestial rounded out the top three, with a new Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles-flavored ice cream and new tea varieties, respectively.
Other top news offered secrets and tips from food industry executives, such as key members of Albertsons’ Own Brands leadership team discussing their success, sharing their insights on how the grocer built a foundation for growing its private label and what it looks for from partners and suppliers.
News about shaving tendencies amid the pandemic also made this week’s list – with consumers shaving less, Procter & Gamble has pivoted towards a new beard oil product, and Edgewell Personal Care is rebranding its Schick Hydro men’s razor line as Schick Hydro Skin Comfort and adding a post-shave balm, face wash and Stubble Eraser comb.
Check out the complete list of the top 10 most-read stories in SmartBrief Food & Beverage briefs this week:
- Congress proposes $25B grant program for restaurants
- SNA seeks universal, free school meals extension
- New products from Post, Hain Celestial, more hit shelves
- Albertsons team shares secrets of Own Brands’ success
- Kraft Heinz, Hormel reportedly brokering $3B Planters deal
- Clif Bar CEO: Free yourself to learn from other leaders
- P&G exec shares top products consumers are seeking
- Success of Chili’s virtual wings concept buoys sales
- Edgewell’s refreshed razor line reflects pandemic trends
- Walmart announces investment, rebrand of media arm
- Restaurants vs. retail: Breaking down consumers’ plant-based appetites
- Is the world ready for meat made from animal cells?
- Grocery tech trends: The unstoppable rise of AI, voice, automation
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters to