The coronavirus pandemic again figured prominently into this week’s Top 10 most-clicked stories among SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers. In the top spot is news about the Small Business Administration’s encouragement for firms that borrowed $150,000 or less from the Paycheck Protection Program to seek loan forgiveness.
In other pandemic-related news, many food manufacturers, retailers and restaurants have announced COVID-19 vaccine requirements, including Walmart, which is mandating that its management and corporate employees get inoculated by Oct. 4. Tyson Foods has set a Nov. 1 deadline for its employees to get the vaccine and will also offer a $200 bonus to those who do. Union Square Hospitality Group, meanwhile, announced that it will require all dine-in customers and employees to show proof they’re fully vaccinated starting Sept. 7.
Other popular CPG news included Reckitt’s new workplace strategy, which emerged from employee feedback and includes a hybrid work model that empowers workers to make their own schedules. PepsiCo’s divestiture of its Tropicana, Naked Juice and other North American juice brands to private equity firm PAI Partners also rated with readers.
In grocery news, readers were interested in a plastic bag alternative test being undertaken by CVS, Target and Walmart. The retailers will test sustainable alternatives to single-use plastic bags as part of the Consortium to Reinvent the Retail Bag, managed by Closed Loop Partners. ALDI customer favorite store brand items also made news, as did a plan for Wegmans to open its first Manhattan location in 2023.
Read the full Top 10:
- SBA pushes loan forgiveness as PPP nears end
- Reckitt turns to employee research to shape culture
- CVS, Target, Walmart to test plastic bag alternatives
- ALDI customers rank in-store favorites
- PepsiCo to sell controlling interest in juice brands
- Walmart sets Oct. deadline for staffers to get vaccines
- Wegmans opening first Manhattan store in former Kmart
- Union Square, other eateries to require vaccine proof
- Tyson requires employee vaccination, offers bonus
- Mondelez disguises Oreo Thins packaging with other brands
- Agritourism helps revive travel, hospitality sectors
- 3 trends keeping shoppers in the frozen food aisle
- TikTok brings unexpected success for food, beverage industry
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for the FMI dailyLead, ProChef SmartBrief or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free.